The firmware of any device is the software component of the device that essentially makes it work – Vizio soundbars aren’t an exception. If a device is going to be “Smart” it has to have a robust software component that comes with firmware that’s upgradable.
If enabled, your Vizio soundbar’s firmware can update automatically. However, this isn’t enabled by default when you get the device, you’ll need to change some settings in the same section where you can have it updated.
In this article, we will give you a step-by-step guide on how to update the firmware of your Vizio soundbar. and also, how to set it on auto update so you don’t have to worry about checking for updates next time.
Vizio Soundbar Firmware Update: Step-By-Step Guide
All Vizio soundbars released after 2016 allow for updates. This includes the following series; Vizio Elevate, Vizio M-Series – Vizio V-Series, Vizio SB-Series, and Vizio Crave Series. All these series follow the same methods for their firmware update; we’ll outline them below.
Method #1 Updating your Vizio Soundbar via the Internet
To use this method, you want to make sure that your soundbar is connected to the internet; either via an ethernet cable or WIFI if it’s supported
- Launch the Vizio SmartCast app on your smartphone
- Tap the menu (three horizontal lines) in the top left corner of the app
- In the menu, navigate through Settings >> System >> Firmware Update
- If a firmware update is available, the app will prompt you to install it.
Method #2 Updating your Vizio Soundbar via USB Drive
To use this method, you’ll want to have a USB drive/stick that doesn’t contain a file that you wouldn’t want to be deleted.
- Download the firmware update files from the Vizio website.
- Extract the firmware update files to a USB drive.
- Make sure that the USB drive is formatted in FAT32 format.
- Turn off your soundbar.
- Insert the USB drive into the USB port on the back of your soundbar.
- Turn on your soundbar.
- The soundbar will automatically start the firmware update process.
- Do not turn off your soundbar or remove the USB drive while the firmware update is in progress.
- Once the firmware update is complete, your soundbar will turn off automatically.
- Remove the USB drive from your soundbar.
Sometimes, you may start to encounter technical issues with your soundbar that weren’t there before the device update. To solve this, you’ll want to either wait for a new update or contact customer support to send you the previous version so you can roll it back with a USB drive.
How to Set a Vizio Soundbar to Update Automatically
If your device is constantly connected to your home network, this is one feature you want to have tuned on, it’ll save you a lot of stress.
- Open the Vizio SmartCast app on your smartphone or tablet.
- Tap the menu icon (three horizontal lines) in the top left corner of the app.
- On the menu, navigate through Setting >> Firmware Update >> Automatic Update
- Toggle the switch on, and you’re done.
With automatic updates enabled, your soundbar will download and install firmware updates automatically when they are available. More so, it’s recommended you install firmware updates for your Vizio soundbar as soon as they’re available. It helps fix any bugs that may be present – even the ones you weren’t aware of.
Vizio Soundbar Firmware Update: FAQs
How do I know if my Vizio Soundbar is Updateable?
If you have any of the Vizio Elevate, Vizio M-Series, Vizio V-Series, Vizio SB-Series, or Vizio Crave Series, that were released after 2016, your device should allow for updates. While that’s the case, you can also check if your device’s firmware is updateable by installing Vizio SmartCast on your smartphone and connecting with it.
Can I Update my Vizio Soundbar Firmware with a PC?
No, you can’t update your Vizio soundbar’s firmware with a PC. This is because Vizio Smart Cast isn’t available for PC. While you can connect your soundbar to your PC via Bluetooth (if your model supports it) you can’t access other advanced settings that’ll allow you to install a firmware update.
Why Should I Update my Vizio Soundbar?
Updating your soundbar’s firmware can improve the overall sound quality, fix bugs, and add new features. It can also improve compatibility with other devices, such as your TV and streaming devices.
What Should I do if Something goes Wrong during a Firmware Update?
If something goes wrong during the firmware update, your soundbar may not work properly. If this happens, try the following:
- Restart your soundbar: Unplug your soundbar from the power outlet and wait 30 seconds before plugging it back in.
- Perform a factory reset: Press and hold the Volume + and Volume – buttons on your soundbar for 10 seconds to perform a factory reset.
- Contact Vizio support: If you are still having problems, contact Vizio support for help.
When updating your soundbar’s firmware, you want to make sure that nothing interrupts the process. A steady power supply and stable internet are needed so your soundbar doesn’t get bricked during an update.